Last night’s launch event for Dipsology was quite the event! What is Dipsology? The two founders describe it on their website as “your curated guide to New York City’s most noteworthy cocktail destinations”. Situated in the front of Real Proof Labs, the event space was perfect to accommodate the various stations, ranging from cocktails to cheese to cupcakes. With bartenders from the likes of Lantern’s Keep, The Beagle and Raines Law Room, it was hard to ever think that the beverage portion of the evening would be able to disappoint.
There was a generous spread from Beecher’s, featuring the cheddar/gruyere blend they produce in-house. They’d paired it nicely with nuts, crackers, and, my personal favorite, dried cherries. The samples reminded me I’m well overdue to finally pay them a visit! Salumè had quite an impressive set-up, including their machine to slice the meats right as the sandwiches were assembled. The meats were fresh and flavorful and were a perfect progression from the cheeses at Beecher’s.
Finally, there were cupcakes from Prohibition Bakery, a LES spot I’ve been reading much about but had yet to try. There were three cupcakes from which to choose – the Car Bomb (whiskey, Bailey’s, stout, chocolate), the Margarita (lime, tequila, triple sec, fleur de sel), and the Pretzels & Beer (pale ale, Nutella, pretzel, truffle). I dare say the Pretzels & Beer one was the winner. And yes, I never thought I’d see the day where beer in cupcakes could work.
The cocktail line-up was nicely varied and below is the summary of the offerings from the original Eventbrite invite for the event:
- McKittrick Old Fashioned from Theo Lieberman of Lantern’s Keep – A modern take on the classic inspired by Sleep No More, with Woodford Reserve Bourbon, Lustau San Emilio Pedro Ximenez Sherry and Mole Bitters.
- Artist’s Special, from Dan Greenbaum of The Beagle – The Black Grouse Scotch, Lustau Don Nuño Oloroso Sherry, red currant syrup and lemon, served up.
- Andean Dusk from Meaghan Dorman of Raines Law Room – La Diablada Pisco, Rose Champagne, Lemon Juice, Simple Syrup & Muddled Red Grape.
- Tonic & Gin from Tom Richter of The Beagle (as well as Tomr’s Tonic) - Tomr’s Tonic & New York Distilling Company Perry’s Tot gin
- Golden Ginger cocktails by Bored and Thirsty – Featuring Golden Ginger, a 100% organic sparkling ginger drink by Artisan Elixirs
I was quite surprised and excited to win the raffle for dinner for 2 to Salumè! Based off of the samples we tasted last night, I’m excited to check out and report back on a full meal there as we’ll be tasing several items off of their menu along with wine/beer pairings. What a treat!
If you haven’t checked it out yet, hop over to dipsology.com for a peek. Expecting more fun events and such to come!